Monday, January 30, 2012

The Nest

From January 29, 2012

Went out to the marsh at about 9am Sunday morning.  It seems that Daddy G was out and about while the Mrs. remained at the nest.  She spent her time grooming and occasionally pulling off new twigs to add to the nest.  Only one other nest had two GBHs in it; the others had only one.  The Sandhill Cranes have also returned to the marsh.  I could hear them better than I could see them.  In addition, there was a lone Anhinga hanging out at the top of a tree, above one of the Heron's nests.  Soon, when the water recedes more, I expect the return of the Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Little Blue and Tri-Colored Herons.  I am hoping to see the Black Crowned Night Heron make a return to the marsh as well.  I saw him last year for the first time.  He may have been there sooner, but appears to be shy so could have easily been missed in the past.  There was also a Bald Eagle soaring high in the sky with the vultures.  An Immature Bald Eagle has also recently been spotted on more than one occasion.  As far as I know, there are at least 5 Eagles' nests in the area (not the marsh) that are active.  I really do have a great backyard!  Following are a couple of photos of the Mrs. and her time in the nest.


No comments:

Post a Comment