Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Beginning - January 22, 2012

Last year I followed a nesting pair of Great Blue Herons (GBH) throughout the season; from nest building to babies' first flights.  This year I thought I would keep a blog in order to share their story.  Let me start by saying that our property backs up to a marsh.  Each year, GBHs, Anhingas, Sandhill Cranes and Egrets use this marsh as an active nesting area (rookery).  Today is the first day that I have seen Daddy G (what I will call the GBH in the same nest I followed last year).  Of the four active nests I saw today, Daddy G's nest is the one I can get closest to, and thus, it is the one I can photograph more easily. 
My goal is to update this blog as often as I can, but at a minimum of 2 times per week.  I was so excited today to see that the boys have returned.  Next, I hope to see Daddy G with a Mrs.  They mate only for one season.  Unlike other birds, they do not mate for life.  In addition, they try to build their nests at the highest place possible in the trees they choose.  The Anhingas always nest below them.  It will be interesting to see the nest building (refinishing - old nest still there) begin.  I remember the excitement of seeing the younguns for the first time last year!  I can't wait to see their story unfold throughout one more season.  Please join me for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment